Monday 5 January 2009

My Five, High Five

It really is a challenge haha.. sorry guys :P

well, here's what my top 5 is at the moment.  No particular order, because each gives me different feelings inspirations etc.. depending on the setting, time, mood I'm in...
  • Wilbur's Homecoming - Danny Elfman, all the darkness, quirks and beauty of a Danny Elfman piece, all encompassed into 9 minutes of absolute, beautiful music.
  • Vide Cor Meum - Hans Zimmer, ironic that it should be taken from the Hannibal soundtrack, but this really is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.  Choirs, reverb... it makes me feel lost, within myself.  Not in a bad way, just.. a strange sort of freedom I guess.  This piece gives me such inspiration.
  • Real Time - Gwailo, gives me shivers every time I listen.  I just have to close my eyes, either out side or in, normally at night time.  I can't describe how this song makes me feel, again a strange sort of freedom, an overwhelming sense of inner peace and calm.  Such a beautiful voice.  The sax solo always seems to swirl around my head, and is one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard.
  • The Show Must Go On, (both Queen and Moulin Rouge versions) - Queen.  The orchestration, the theatrical, operatic voices, the choir, the power, the emotion, the feeling, the ending.  Shivers, every time.  "Inside my heart is breaking, my make up may be flaking, but my smile still stays on".  The way she sings those words in the film.  The darkness.  The song and words of a previous life.  Freddie's beautiful, powerful voice, the words, the tragedy behind the showman's smile.  The most perfect lyrics.  
  • Adrift - Jack Johnson, a really pretty, relaxing song with such, beautiful, words. 
I haven't mentioned a few of my absolute favourite songs... these just seem to be the ones that say what I feel over all...  I haven't mentioned November Rain, and you all know how much that song means to me. Or my favourite song, Stars.  Nor have I mentioned Ice Dance, or many other Danny Elfman pieces, that I just fall into.  So many Queen songs, so many one notes sung by that voice, that makes me feel raw emotion and comfort.  So many classical pieces, so many film pieces, by so many different composers.

No comments: