Monday 20 October 2008

Tra Laaaaaa!


I do believe this is why I love Danny Elfman so much.  He has always been criticized as being a "hummer", someone who hums a tune, and relies on other people to help him notate his ideas properly.  Whether this is true or not, does it really matter?  Point is, he's got the ideas, he records them into something very much like I've got in front of me, and some body else turns his ideas into a readable score fit for an orchestra.  All these criticisms derive from the fact that Elfman never really had any proper musical training, he wasn't the kinda grade 8 guy that had been doing it all his life.  I think I should also note here, that he is also renowned for being one of the most innovative and individual film composers to date.  I found this quote, that I absolutely love...

"The bottom line is what you hear in you head... I hear orchestral music in my head... The only difference between me and a conservatory trained person is that I can't analyze why it does what it does."

And also this one...

"Certainly you must be aware that there are many film directors - Tim Burton for one example - who never attended any film school.  Why, then, is it so hard to accept the possibility that someone who works hard can learn to write film music from hand-on experience?"

I really can't help but notice similarities with my musical life, if you like.  Ok, so now I'm on grade four piano, but then I've only been playing for just over 2 years now.  But on my course, I've been thrown in with grade 8 musicians, kick ass guitarists etc, all who have been playing since before they could walk.  But I have only heard one of them say they have an orchestra in their head.  Only one.  Everyone else thinks that him and I, are freaks! haha (perhaps they're right).  All the people I know to be musical geniuses, all have orchestras in their heads, so I must be on the right path... hehe

Question: Why is your music so dark?
Elfman:  Because light hurts my eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too bloody right el Fredo. And also there's also the ability to let it flow from your fingers/voice as a spontaneous line of unconscious emotion that genius' have as well. So hooray for the hummers and doodlers with the music in the head all day.