Monday 26 May 2008

Come On, Brothers, Lets Go Down.

Many people think they know what music I listen to. Queen, Guns 'n' Roses, Film Music.

But they never actually listen to what music moves me. The music I truly love.

I have film soundtracks from Bernard Herrmann's Psycho, to Danny Elfman's Pee-Wee's Big Adventures, from Williams' Jaws to Marianelli's Attonement, from John Ottman's take on Superman Returns to Patrick Doyle's turn at Harry Potter. I've got Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, to Queen's Live at Wembley to Brian Eno's Music for Airports. All of which I listen to with either fascination, incomprehensible feeling, emotion, awe, and a rising sense of pride (not quite sure if that's the right word). One day, just maybe one day, that'll be me. If I can move but one person in my whole career, through the music that I create, in the way that these composers (especially Danny Elfman) have moved me, I would have reached my ultimate.

I was listening to a track from the film "O Brother, Where art thou?" that I'm borrowing. The track is called "Down to the river to pray". The first time I heard the song, I got goose bumps all down my arms and spine. Just the amount of voices singing out that song, together, sounding like they mean every word.

At a Smokin' Vincents rehearsal, Ross asked us which on of the senses we'd be ok with losing. He said hearing. My chin dropped to the floor. He'd rather go deaf than blind. If I went deaf, I honestly don't think I could keep myself living. I know that sounds stupid, or selfish, or what ever. But music is honestly my life. If I couldn't hear, listen, anymore, I don't actually think I would be me any more. I wouldn't be able to play my piano, I wouldn't be able to hear the sound of an orchestra anymore. I wouldn't be able to hear your voice anymore. I always said that there's only a few people that actually listen to the music when they go to see a film. To them, the music is just there. Well, to me, the music is the most important part of the film. I was doing what we do in class whilst I was watching Indiana Jones last night for god's sake. "hmm, interesting that we haven't yet heard the main theme..." I then turned to Marina after those few notes that tell you that that's Jones' shadow and said
"Isn't music clever."

No comments: