Monday 26 May 2008

Regenerate

As I was writing these quotes down, I realised how stupid it is to worry about learning them for some stupid exam, when these words were written by men who actually suffered their meaning.
Starting with some jingoistic quotes, onto quotes from poems that show the brim of what the "great" war must have been like. "The old lie: It is sweet and right to die for your country."

Shakespeare’s Henry V (c. 1599)

St. Crispin’s Day Speech:
“The fewer men, the greater share of honour…”
We would not die in that man’s company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.”


Rupert Brooke

Peace: (1914)
“And caught our youth, and weakened us from sleeping…”
“To turn, as swimmers into cleanness leaping…”
“Glad from a world grown cold and weary…”
“Nothing to shake the laughing heart’s long peace…”
“…and the enemy is but Death.”

The Soldier: (Pre Somme)
“If I should die, this only this of me…”
“Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam…”
In hearts at peace, under and English heaven.”


Jessie Pope

The Call:
"Who's for the trench -
Are you, my laddie?"
Who'll earn the Empire's thanks - "
"Will you, my laddie?"

Sir Henry Newbolt (1862 – 1938)

Vitai Lampada (They pass on the torch of life.)
“An hour to play and the last man in”
“Play up! Play up! And play the game!”


Siegfried Sassoon

They (1917)
“‘They will not be the same; for they’ll have fought’”
“‘On Anti-Christ; their comrades’ blood has bought… honourable race…”


A Soldier’s Declaration (July 1917)
“I am a soldier, convinced I am acting on behalf of soldiers.”
“…I may help to destroy the callous complacence… majority at home… have not sufficient imagination to realize.”


Wilfred Owen

Dulce Et Decorum Est (1917 written in Craiglockheart)
“bent double, like old beggars under sacks…”
“GAS! Gas! Quick, boys! An ecstasy of fumbling…”
“In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.”
“The old lie: Dulce et dcorum est
Pro patria mori.

Anthem For Doomed Youth (1917 written in Craiglockheart)
“What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?”
“Only the stuttering rifles’ rapid rattle.”

No comments: