Thursday 11 September 2008

I Can Cancan, Can You?

Again, I have been stumbling upon songs that come up on my itunes randomly, and today, it was The Show Must Go On, version from Moulin Rouge, sung by one of my favourite actors, a song by my favourite band.  This song combines so many different feelings it's quite over whelming.  The perfect example of how the greatest songs written are autobiographical. 
 Moulin Rouge is one of my favourite films, and now I think I know why.  It combines perfect ideas of how versatile music can be with contemporary art and old fashioned beauty along with the most perfect but tragic love story.  The music intertwines the beauty of orchestral movements and sounds, traditional choirs and scores with powerful and different voices in modern and popular music, mashing so many different songs together with an orchestral twist that it makes the songs even more perfect and powerful.  Children of the Revolution and The Hills Are Alive.  If you listen to the end of songs such as The Show Must Go On in Moulin Rouge, it provides the perfect example of what I'm talking about.  It's so clever and the take on the song is just perfect, filling it with all the emotion needed to twist it into the story line of the film, with all the power, beauty and freedom it's bound to provide. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Autobiographical and from the soul wins everytime.
The power of a soul laid bare speaks volumes and to many.